- Overcoming Your Demons – Morgan Housel
Morgan on the painful process of overcoming your greatest fears.
- Lambda’s Loop: A Growth Case Study – Lloyd Alexander
Part 2 in the Lambda School case study. This one covers the various feedback loops that enable Lambda to get better over time as it scales.
- Early Reflections On Silicon Valley – Sar Haribhakti
Sar chronicles his thoughts on the move to SV. Insightful commentary as always.
- The Secret Power of ‘Read It Later’ Apps – Tiago Forte
Tiago on why you should use Pocket or Instapaper for your reading habit.
- Naval Ravikant’s Guide To Choosing Your First Job In Tech
Identifying potential peers, performing well and letting compounding work for you.
- Open Letter From New York State Budget Director Robert Mujica Regarding Amazon
A hard hitting memo on the Amazon debacle that highlights how vested interests and politicization of issues can lead to disastrous outcomes for a community.
- The Secret to Amazon’s Success – Internal APIs
Decentralizing the information flow between teams made it easier for Amazon to scale fast.
- Amazon’s “two-pizza teams”: The ultimate divisional organization – Jason Crawford
How Amazon thinks of teams and why it helps them stay nimble.
Two-pizza teams are so named because they’re small: 6 to 10 people; you can feed them with two pizzas. The most important aspect of a 2PT isn’t its size, though, but its fitness function. A fitness function is a single key business metric that the senior executive team (the “S-team”) agrees on with the team lead. It’s the equivalent of the P&L for a division: a single metric to provide focus and accountability.
- Keith Rabois – This Week in Startups with Jason Calacanis – Part 1
Keith Rabois on success, failure, and building a team.